Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Art, Band or PE?


    Friday night our friends Robb and Cassie came over for dinner.  We’ve been friends for what seems like a lifetime but really is probably only like 14 years.  Maybe it seems like a lifetime because we’ve shared a lot of special moments, or maybe because Robb was our Sunday school teacher for several years, or MAYBE because Cassie and I have the same maiden name and are convinced that somewhere way back there, we are indeed related.  Doesn’t really matter, we enjoy their company because they are always good for a few laughs. 
     The evening started with us sinking our teeth into some homemade (ok, semi-homemade) focaccia bread and fresh checca while Cassie and I prepared dinner and the guys talked about guns and Alaska and trucks and Big Green Eggs.  (I LOVE having friends in the kitchen cooking with me!)   Mike and Robb had been on a mission trip to Alaska a while back and we were still holding on to one last pack of halibut that Mike caught while on the trip (they fished AFTER they spend several days helping build a church, in case you are wondering).  I had searched high and low for a good halibut recipe but couldn’t find anything that was tempting my taste buds.  So, I thought to myself about how I wanted the meal (particularly the fish) to taste.  And with those thoughts, Cassie and I cooked together some melt-in-your mouth, slap-your-mama, halibut!  (More about the recipe later).
   So we are sitting at the table, thoroughly enjoying our meal.  And as usual, in grown-up life, our kids were mentioned.  The Wilson’s shared with us about an art project their son had done.  Cassie had a picture of the drawing and I must say--- it was very impressive!  Of course seeing such an impressive art project caused my mind to flood with memoires of my art class, circa 1976 (ouch) and I felt a need to share with my friends those special memories. 
      When I was in middle school (called Jr. High School in Florence, Alabama) you had a choice.  You could choose to take art, band or PE.  I chose the least of those three evils, which is why I have an “art project” memory.  I did not choose band because:  1. My parents refused to pay for an instrument; 2. The only attempt I ever made toward anything musical was piano lessons in 2nd grade.  Best I remember that lasted about 3 weeks. And 3. I can’t carry a tune in a bucket.  Seriously.  I like to sing and I enjoy my own singing but it has come to my attention over the years that not everyone else enjoys my “special” voice like I do.  So based on those reasons, band was not for me.  Next up – PE. 
   Quite possibly the only thing worse than my singing ability is my athletic ability.  When I was in 6th grade my parents thought it would be a good idea to sign me up for rec basketball.  Why?  Why would you sign up a short, chubby girl for basketball?  I have never enjoyed running, I don’t like to sweat and I’ve never, ever been over 5 feet tall.  Now I don’t know if this memory is completely accurate but this is how I remember it.  For this particular league, they didn’t count points during the third quarter so guess who ALWAYS got to play during the third quarter?  EVERY short, chubby girl!  Not one of my fondest childhood memories.  I don’t even remember if I ever scored a point (let’s pretend I did).  Of course, I’m sure it greatly helped my self-esteem when at the end of the season the family was so complimentary of how I had “slimmed down”.   I’m seriously laughing as I type this.  Really, what were Ken and Ruth thinking?  So, as you can see, PE was also not a choice for my Jr. High elective.  And that left me with art class.
    I’m sure it crossed my mind, “How hard can an art class be?”  This is how I remember it going down….. We had to choose an animal and make a paper mache’ replica of it.  I chose a dog.  I remember having 4 long balloons for the legs, a large oval one for the body and a round one for the head.  I applied paper and all that gooey stuff until my balloons were well wrapped.  Oh, and did I mention that in addition to not liking to sweat, I HATE to stick my hands in gooey, messy, glue-like stuff.  Alrighty.  By the end of the day, the paper mache’ dog had dried enough for me to take home and finish.  Mom and I went out and bought white fur to attach to the dog so he would be a cute, soft, sweet-looking pup.  What I didn’t anticipate was that as the balloons dried some of them would shrink, but I covered my dog in fur anyway.  The next morning, mortified, I went to school with my white furry dog.  Some of the leg balloons had shrunk so none of the legs were the same length.  The body balloon had also shrunk but the head had not.   And somehow, his body was more square than round.  Looking back now, maybe a basketball career would have been the best choice.  It’s ok.  You can laugh.  I’m laughing too.
   So that was the dinner table topic on Friday night.  Fortunately for me, Mike, Robb and Cassie redeemed me by saying that although I may not have excelled in Art, Band or PE, our meal was OFF THE CHARTS!  I’m thankful for a husband and good friends who love you even when they know your ugly parts. 

Our dinner menu:
     Roasted pear salad- Anjou pears stuffed with craisins, blue cheese and walnuts.  Baked in a marinade of apple cider, brown sugar and port, served on top of spring mix and drizzled with a dressing of olive oil, fresh lemon juice and a couple tablespoons of the marinade. (recipe of Barefoot Contessa)
    Halibut – salt, pepper and pan seared in a hot pan.  Remove from pan.  Brown diced pancetta in same pan.  Add a couple tablespoons of butter and fresh squeezed lemon juice. (recipe from my head)
   White cheddar cheese grits with chives – cook grits in water and half and half.  When done, add butter, white cheddar, fresh chives, salt and pepper. (recipe from my head)
  Focaccia bread with checca – roll out pizza dough (I use the one from Publix’s deli).  Brush with olive oil and use fingers to make indentions into dough.  Bake in 425 degree oven for 5 minutes.  Remove from oven, top with fresh chopped rosemary and sea salt.  Return to oven until nicely browned.  Checca- diced tomatoes, garlic, FRESH basil, olive oil.  Serve with bread. (recipe similar to California Pizza Kitchen)

 Dessert -Cassie’s chocolate pound cake topped with cherry compote, fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

No comments:

Post a Comment